This five-year program is the first step in our multi-year, year-round programming approach that puts kids on the path to successfully graduating from high school and continuing on to higher education. Children spend five years working with our staff year-round, attending both summer camp and school-year programming consisting of skill-building and developmental programs that prepare them to transition to our C5 Teen Leadership Program.
CCI engages a child’s sense of curiosity. Rooted in a commitment to family and community, CCI embraces the natural energy that comes with being a kid. The curriculum is designed to be fun while providing teachable moments. Each child is encouraged to participate in activities that help them learn self-control and how to interact with their peers with optimism, patience and enthusiasm.
CCI is broken into 2 smaller groups by age: 3-5 grades and 6-7 grades. Below is an overview of the programming for each year.
Grades 3, 4 & 5
• Culture: Participants learn what it means to be part of a community; meeting and learning about their peers, and understanding how to treat others.
• Confidence: Learning to trust themselves and others is a key part of building confidence; they practice skills that focus on trust, expressing their feelings and being themselves.
• Communication: The importance of participation, communicating effectively with peers, and the basics of problem solving are addressed. 5th graders serve as mentors to 3rd graders and begin understanding the responsibility that comes with being a role model.
Grades 6 & 7
• Choices: Understanding emotions, overcoming pressures and working together are the themes of the last two years of CCI. Participants learn to make positive choices and decisions.
• Change: Transitioning to the Crossroads C5 Teen Leadership Program is critical for this group. Our 7th graders meet with C5 program staff where they learn about the application process and the commitment required over the next five years.